Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Things That Go Bump in the Night

I've always been a bit of a scaredy cat. When I pass someone in a parking lot, I'm convinced 75% of people are about to kidnap me. I carry my keys in my fist so that if someone attacks me I can jab them in the eyeball with my keys (a little trick I learned from mah girl, Oprah).

Even though my neighborhood is simply lovely (aside from the creepy neighbor - another blog post for another day) and I feel perfectly safe, I still revert back to my old ways of being afraid for no reason every once in a while. There are thousands of homes in my cute little suburb that are much fancier than ours - why would a criminal choose ours? Besides, our house is alarm-enabled. Furthermore, Frisco has a crazy low crime rate. How do I know this? Um, OBVIOUSLY I'm a freak and I check the crime reports in my neighborhood on, like, a quarterly basis. These are the thoughts that run through my head when I get a little bit afraid.

One night, I practically convinced myself that someone broke into our garage. When the hubby asked why I didn't wake him up to go check, I told him I was only about 65% sure and he had a long day at work the next day... Of course, when we went out to the garage the next day, everything was as it should be.

So fast forward to this week. Greg's company is putting him up at a hotel in Dallas this week for a work function, which means I've been staying alone. But for some odd reason, I really haven't been that scared. It could have been the nights filled catching up on non-scary TV (like five DVR'd Oprah), it could have been the home alarm and locking myself in the bedroom to sleep, it could have been the old towel bar I have by my bed to knock someone out if they were to break in. My guess is that it's a combination. Maybe I'm just finally being a grown-up.

I hope I'm not the only 'fraidy cat out there. Excited for my hubby to get home tomorrow, though!

3 comments:

  1. i seriously love that i can picture you saying every word on this blog! love and miss u fraidy cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Lauren...I'm suck a fraidy cat too!! Robert is gone quite often and I freak!!! Usually, I have my friends come stay but that last time I thought I'd brave it! Like you I had my bedroom locked up like fort knox including a dining room chair propped up under the door handle!! ;) So don't worry, you aren't alone in your panic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara, haha - I've had so many people tell me that. I'll take it as a compliment... :-)

    Amy, SO glad to hear I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete