Sunday, August 14, 2011

Making Old Into New

With all the weekend traveling we've been doing this summer, we've barely had any time to work on our home. But since we finally have a few weekends off this month, I was excited to work on some DIY projects I had pinned on Pinterest. (Time to stop pinning and start doing!)

My first project revolved around this random art nook in our entry way. Honestly, I've been trying to figure out what to place here since we moved in... which is why it's still empty.

The only piece of artwork I had that would fit was this little diddy I picked up from HobLob 1/2 off a few years ago. It just screams HobLob, if you ask me... And I'm just really not that crazy about it anymore, so was pinspired to repurpose it.

Before:

So, first I primed the artwork. Then, I stuck on these adhesive stickers I picked up in the HobLob scrapbooking aisle and spelled out one of my favorite quotes. (In the interest of full disclosure, this took quite a while.) And I've scrutinized and scrutinized this and I know it's not perfect, but I think it gives it charm. :-)



Then, I simply spray-painted the whole thing (just a couple of light coats) white and voila!

In addition, we added a couple of sconces we already had, but had yet to hang (from Pier One).

I'm still thinking about possibly re-doing the sign and painting it a different color - maybe green? But for now, we like it and it's definitely a nice little addition to our entryway and very cost-effective - I just paid $3 for the letters and $5 for the spray paint (since I already had the artwork and primer)!

I tackled a few other crafty projects this weekend, too, which I'll share soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment