Monday, August 22, 2011

Burger Love

So, unless you've been living under a rock you probably know that DFW (ahem, Frisco to be exact) got the first In-N-Out Burger in Texas. Since then, several others have opened. I guess it's a big deal if you're from California. Me? I don't care so much, although I'm always looking for the next bandwagon...

To be quite honest, I've been avoiding this restaurant like the plague. When I drove by it on my way to work on its opening day (about 4 months ago), there were hundreds of people out there along with two news trucks. At 8:20 in the morning, mind you. Really? I love a burger as much as the next person, but come on Dallas...

So, this past weekend, my curiosity got the best of me and the hubby and I made a trip to In-N-Out. We went during what we felt like was an "off-peak" time (2:30 p.m. on a Sunday) because big crowds make me anxious.

But apparently this establishment knows no "off-peak." We ordered quickly and I headed to the seating area to try to find a seat (None to be found). So, I sort of hung out and looked around waiting for someone to get up. I gave the hubby a quick glance from across the room and when I turned around, what do you know, someone got up and someone had already grabbed their table. Now, rinse and repeat two more times. Even the outside tables in the 105 degree temps were taken. I was like the person that keeps driving around a parking lot and having spots stolen from her. So, we ate in the car. (Klassy, right?)

We both thought it was really good for the price ($11 for the both of us), although the fries were mediocre.

But let me tell you what really gets my burger motor running. (Weird wording? Maybe.)

To be honest, I'm really not sure how good it is. I think it's just a childhood thing and the fact that there are no Checkers in the area.

In fact, anytime I'm anywhere near a Checkers, I make a point to make a trip. I've been to Florida twice in the past two years and don't think I left that state without a Checkers trip.

Case in point: I made all six of my girlfriends, who I was in Tampa with, go to Checkers on the last day. And then take a photo of me in front of it. Cool, right?

And again: When on vacay in Fort Lauderdale, we took a $30 cab drive for a $14 lunch?

And suddenly I'm no better than the In-N-Out fans.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE Checkers! Didn't we go twice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, yes. But it was after 2 a.m. and I only had fries so I didn't count it...

    ReplyDelete