Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I'm One Crafty Bitch - Round One

I am a bit cursed in that I didn’t receive the crafty gene in my family. My mom can sew and embroider, my sister can knit like it’s going out of style, but I’ve never really been all that crafty. (While I’m at it, I also have realized that I’m pretty much lacking in the overall “arts” category.)

So, when I moved into our new home, I thought I would never be the DIY-type, but I’ve got to tell you, I think I’ve been bitten by the bug. I am one crafty bitch.

(And now begins the part of this blog post where I brag… just a bit.)

So, I had this frame I bought at Hobby Lobby a few months ago. It was black/red and to be honest, I really do not know why I bought it. I have no “black and red” theme in my house. At the time, I figured I could pull out the glass and create a corkboard out of wine corks, but let’s face it, I drink about one bottle of wine a month, so it would take me years to complete that. I mean, half the bottles of wine I buy have a twist top!

So, after a quick Google search lot of research, I decided to paint it. I got some great plastic primer (yes, the frame was not real wood. I’m klassy like that), a super-cute spray paint color and some cork board from HobLob. After one coat of primer, three coats of spray paint and about 8-12 cuss words, it was time to cut the cork and pop it in the frame. (Note: This is where a majority of the cussing took place.)


The detail:

Final product:

I’m new at this whole blogging thing so didn’t take a “before” photo. Damn. Sorry bout that.

But I absolutely love it! And after looking online, I found one at Pottery Barn for $99-$149! Can you believe? And I think mine is cuter than this one. In total, I probably spent about $34. I may seem very boastful, but if you knew how incapable of crafting I am, you would understand the enthusiasm.

My next “Crafty Bitch” project? No-sew curtains for the master bathroom. Any other projects I need to add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment