Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hungry Lady: Low Maintenance Eating

I don't know about you, but by the time I get home from work, I am wiped out. While we like to really cook and try new recipes on Sunday nights, weekday nights are low maintenance. I'm also going through this weird stage where baked or grilled chicken breast (which we used to eat at least once per week) is grossing me out. Like, makes me want to vomit. (No, I'm not pregnant. This is totally normal for me. I've also been known to get overwhelming cravings for chili dogs. Again: Not. Pregnant.) So, I've been trying to think outside the box for easy, fast meals that don't involve a drive-through.

Here are a few grocery store finds that I absolutely LOVE.

Pictsweet Edamame - When I saw this in the frozen food section of the grocery store, I almost didn't buy because I thought there was no way frozen edamame would heat well. I was wrong - it was delicious! Totally recommend and an easy way to get your greens with dinner!

Perdue Chicken Tenders - Yes, we sometimes eat like 5-year-olds, but these are made from all-white meat, baked and are not too bad for you. Plus, they are so low-maintenance and fast to make. Pair with some whole grain Kraft mac 'n cheese and we have a meal fit for adults who eat like children.
Ravioli - One of my all-time, fave go-to easy dinners is ravioli (and no I don't mean Chef Boyardee). I buy the frozen ravioli, boil it for 5 minutes (throwing in spinach for the last minute) and serve with spaghetti sauce. Maybe it's my obsession with spaghetti. (I could literally eat pasta a few times a week. I mean, my ass might be huge, but I could do it.) Plus, I still get in my green veggies. I'm always concerned about eating enough green veggies, so anytime I can sneak them in, I do.
Kroger Rotisserie Chickens - Don't overlook the delicious, convenience of the rotisserie chicken available at most grocery stores. (We shop at Kroger, but you can get them at Market Street, Walmart, etc.) We've been known to eat these 2-3 times a month, especially if we're really busy. A while back they put up a sign that says they guarantee a hot rotisserie chicken every night until 7 p.m. or its free, which embarrassingly enough, led to what I can only refer to as the Kroger rotisserie chicken debacle of 2010.
  
But we still love them!

Any other go-to, easy meals I should know about?!


Happy Eating!

1 comment:

  1. SO glad to know I'm not the only one who loves low maintenance meals. I pretty much each a Smart Ones 3 cheese ziti marinara every night. That, and Dole frozen mangoes. Both items, I feel, have changed my life.

    xoxo!
    Emily
    www.mainstreetchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete