Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trick or Treat: Smell My Feet

Wow, Halloween has come and gone! I'm feeling a little bit like I'm a day late and a dollar short on this holiday. I can't believe this is our second Halloween in our house. While I'm sad that I wasn't able to pass out candy to our little trick-or-treaters this year, I was able to pull together some VERY last minute decorations.

Side note: Halloween was easily one of my favorite nights in our home last year. I was so excited to see all the little ones dressed up; in particular, a set of three siblings, two little brother (Mario and Luigi) and an older sister (Princess Peach). After they had gathered the candy and said their thank-yous and were turning around to leave, the little girl looks me straight in the eye and says very sneakily "Trick or Treat, smell my feet!" and ran off. At first, I just didn't know what to think of it, but I have to admit - I kind of love her. I'm sad I'll be missing her this year.

So, since I wasn't able to pass out candy this year, I wanted to be able to set something out so the trick-or-treaters could still get candy. Neighborhood karma - believe in it.

With very little direction, my hubby (who is surprisingly resourceful) went and found a haystack and a mixture of fake and live pumpkins. So what if I pictured a faux haystack from a craft store and he came back with a full-size live one from the pumpkin patch? Go big or go home, folks. So, this is what we were able to throw together Sunday night.

We have the haystack, an assortment of pumpkins, our little ghost friend, a sign urging our trick-or-treaters to enjoy some candy and of course - the goodies.

I had been hoping to do some fun, crafty painting with the faux pumpkins, but there's always next year...

I also had this empty Ikea frame that I've had around as a future project to create a cute menu frame for our kitchen, so I thought this could work well for our little sign for trick-or-treaters. Throw in some old scrapbook paper and I used an erasable marker to write the message; I think it turned out cute... I mean, ignoring the terrible handwriting...

Also, over the weekend, I was able to enjoy a Halloween rite of passage by watching the 1993 cinematic classic "Hocus Pocus" on (where else?!) ABC Family. If you haven't seen this movie, you should probably cancel your plans and go rent it.

"A muck. A muck, a muck, a muck, a muck, a muck!" Probably one of SJP's greatest performance to date!

Hope you all had a great Halloween. I'm thinking I should go start preparing for Christmas, or I'll be hanging up lights in January. Happy November!

No comments:

Post a Comment